Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Value of the Printed Word

 


I was a child editor. Or that’s how I’d like to think of it. Almost 22, I entered the MFA program at The University of Alabama in January 1974, and ended up as editor-in-chief of a magazine in the making: The Black Warrior Review. (Years later, another set of editors would drop that The.) My team of rag-tag creative writing peers and I managed to launch a magazine that led off with poems by Norman Dubie, and included work by Rodney Jones and Gary Soto. We published two short stories, one from the prize-winning Alabama fiction writer H.E. Francis. We learned on the job how to be editors, to work with printers, and to market our product. There were no courses in this and we probably wouldn’t have taken one if there had been ...(click the headline above to continue reading)

2 comments:

  1. I love when I have a day off and stumble upon things by people I love.

    ReplyDelete